Khoelife Entry into the Soap Challenge Club

The soap I made is named “Power of Love”, something my nation desperately needs at the moment.

The challenge was to design a soap using an impression mat. But I couldn’t find one that I liked, so in the end I made my own. I found some rhinestones that did the job perfectly!

Photo E Davey

Photo E Davey

Then I cast the silicone mould.

Photo E Davey

Photo E Davey

Now my problem is that I am always tempted to colour outside the lines. Though I dutifully read through all the instructions,  no sooner did I hear that it was impossible to paint a wet mica then I had to try it. I guess that is one way to keep growing and learning! I should mention that I have only used botanical colours, this was my first mica ever. But I thought it is festive season and we can afford to indulge ourselves in some sparkle.  I mixed the mica in oil and applied it with a dropper. I then let it dry for a few hours.

Phote E Davey

Phote E Davey

Thinking through the design was the tricky part. The instructions were to focus on the texture created by the impression mat.  So to think of something that enhanced the pattern without overshadowing it took some effort. In the end I decided to go with my favourite tilted wall pour in these adorable heart popsicle moulds.

IMG_0237

Now to assemble it all! Being very careful not to disturb the mica, I decided to apply the first layer with a bottle.

Photo E Davey

Photo E Davey

Then I added another layer with a spoon and added my embeds.

Photo E Davey

Photo E Davey

I let it stand for a few days without gelling. And here’s the  loaf!!

Photo E Davey

Photo E Davey

The final cut.

final cut

Advertisements
Tagged

14 thoughts on “Khoelife Entry into the Soap Challenge Club

1. Amy Warden says:

Your soaps turned out beautifully! I love the thought and consideration you put into it and how it translated into the soap. Your first mica? That’s fantastic! And the perfect soap to test it out. 🙂

• khoelife says:

Thank you Amy! I love how the Soap Challenge encourages me to stretch myself and am very inspired by looking at the other soaps too. Appreciate all the hard work you put into this!

2. Using rhinestones was a great idea. Lovely soap.

3. Eva says:

Nice job Yvette on your soaps! I like the idea using the Rhinestones. It seems with making your own molds, the possibilities are endless. Neat idea for making your inside heart shapes too, ill have to try this!

• khoelife says:

Thank you, Eva! The rhinestones were a revelation in the third art store I visited, I realized that what I was searching for was right in front of me all the time. Funny how often that happens 🙂

4. sirron says:

Your hearts are so cute! Your tilted wall pour technique sounds really interesting too.

• khoelife says:

Thank you, Sirron! Youtube videos taught me so much, and it is a pleasure to be able to give something back to the soaping community. It was a tilted tiger stripe in a vertical mould. Just love, love, love that technique because it is so versatile.

5. Sara Golding says:

I love how you made your embeds. I was wondering how you made all of the different color variations in them. Very nice!

• khoelife says:

Thank you Sara! I adored your butterflies too. So creative! The colours were easy, I am always looking for an opportunity to showcase what botanicals can do. So it was three variations on Red Palm oil mixed with infused coconuts. Yellow: turmeric, Orange: Paprika. Deep rust: Madder root in both oil and lye water. And some Sweet Orange essential oil in the colours helped to darken too.

6. Penny says:

It’s kind of fun when you finally find that perfect thing to use – and these were perfect! Love the heart swirl that reflects your theme, too! Great job, Yvette!

7. Anna says:

So the wet mica did work pretty well after all. Beautiful soap!