The soap I made is named “Power of Love”, something my nation desperately needs at the moment.
The challenge was to design a soap using an impression mat. But I couldn’t find one that I liked, so in the end I made my own. I found some rhinestones that did the job perfectly!
Then I cast the silicone mould.
Now my problem is that I am always tempted to colour outside the lines. Though I dutifully read through all the instructions, no sooner did I hear that it was impossible to paint a wet mica then I had to try it. I guess that is one way to keep growing and learning! I should mention that I have only used botanical colours, this was my first mica ever. But I thought it is festive season and we can afford to indulge ourselves in some sparkle. I mixed the mica in oil and applied it with a dropper. I then let it dry for a few hours.
Thinking through the design was the tricky part. The instructions were to focus on the texture created by the impression mat. So to think of something that enhanced the pattern without overshadowing it took some effort. In the end I decided to go with my favourite tilted wall pour in these adorable heart popsicle moulds.
Now to assemble it all! Being very careful not to disturb the mica, I decided to apply the first layer with a bottle.
Then I added another layer with a spoon and added my embeds.
I let it stand for a few days without gelling. And here’s the loaf!!
The final cut.